Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Monday, February 15, 2010

Valentine's Day (the day, not the movie)


So I (and in turn Geoffrey) am a celebrator of all things, including Valentine's Day (which also happens to be Herbert's "birthday") but for some reason this year we didn't make any plans and didn't really feel like making any. We knew it was a three-day weekend and that Valentine's Day was on a Sunday, so there was all kinds of possibilities open to us. We made plans for the day before (golf for Geoffrey and a friend's Anti-Valentine's party for me and then watching the Blind Side--FINALLY!-- together) and for the day after (take our passport pictures and watch Crazy Heart), but nothing for Sunday. Last minute I decided I would make Valentine's breakfast (and also use this opportunity as my new recipe of the week), but that too fell through when the french toast recipe required an overnight soak and Patisserie Philippe ran out of brioche loaves. So we spent Sunday just like all Sundays-- in our pjs and watching TV.

However, the Universe had made plans for us, which made me wonder if Geoffrey and I have precognitive abilities. Geoffrey still had a soccer game in the afternoon, so he went. I decided to stay home and catch up on Ugly Betty (in its final season, fyi). About an hour later I receive a phone call from Geoffrey, calmly telling me that he hurt his knee and was carried off the field. Since he was so calm, I didn't worry at first. But then he gave me the story. He went up for a header (which he won) and landed awkardly on his right foot, causing his right knee to "pop out of place and then back in". He was down on the field for a couple of minutes, not able to move and eventually his teammates carried him off. He couldn't tell if there was swelling or not, but only felt the pain. I decided we should take him to see a doctor, just to be safe. So I threw on some clothes, grabbed an ice pack and advil and called the taxi to take me to the field. As we were driving to Urgent Care, we found out it was closed. Our other option was to go to the ER. So we spent the next 3.5 hours in Kaiser's emergency room (well, I spent it waiting, playing Solitaire and probably being exposed to H1N1 while Geoffrey was poked and prodded and pushed around in a gurney). The good news is that Geoffrey did not break anything but he cannot exercise for at least 2 weeks (puts a wrench in the marathon training!) and he still has to go see an orthopedic surgeon for follow-up.

At this point we are starving, Geoffrey is hobbling and I need a shower (to wash off all the germs from the ER). We decide the best way to spend the rest of Valentine's Day was to order Thai take out (my favorite), watch a movie (District 9 on Netflix) and open a nice bottle of champagne (thanks Caroline and Kenneth!). It was a perfect ending to a semi-dramatic day.

5 comments:

  1. Happy Valentine's Day! Hope Geoffrey's knee feels better. You can refer to him as gimpy for the next two weeks :P

    Happy Birthday Herbert :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome. I hope Geoffrey's OK. That Thai food looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yikes!! Glad Geo dodged any major damage!! What a dramatic day!
    How was the sparkly? Hope it was wonderful! So glad you guys could enjoy it for a special occasion AND a much deserved drink!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. We had Thai food on Sunday too. I hope Geoffrey is ok and can still do lots of jumps. Freddie says, happy birthday to Herbert!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Geoffrey says "thank you" for all the well wishes. We think he will be back to normal in a few weeks. Herbert also says "thanks" for the birthday greetings, even though he is a little mad at Geoffrey for overshadowing him on his birthday...

    ReplyDelete